Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Dmitriev’s Peasant & Teenager Win Russian Booker

Another week, another big Russian literary prize... Today the Russian Booker went to Andrei Dmitriev for Крестьянин и тинейджер (The Peasant and the Teenager), a book I wrote about last month, here.

I’ve only read half this year’s finalistsSlavnikova’s book, Stepnova’s book, and Dmitriev’s winner—but have to say this choice surprised and disappointed me, and not just because Dmitriev already won a Yasnaya Polyana award in October. The Peasant and the Teenager is a decent enough novel about city and rural life, and I can understand enjoying it. Still, as I wrote in my previous post, I think the book lacks something. That something is, at least for me, intangible and difficult to describe: the book doesn’t manage to give me much new, either thematically or aesthetically, leaving me moderately satisfied but shruggingly indifferent. Despite the cow, my favorite character.

I’ll leave the commentary at that for now and add notes later if I find any interesting reactions. Two days later, these three articles seem to sum up what I've read:

Addition 1: An article from RIANovosti with comments about the award. (NB: They got Stepnova's first name wrong at the top: she's Marina!) I'm posting this because I agree with writer and critic Alisa Ganieva's comment that Dmitriev's book was a safe choice; Ganieva said she would have chosen a winner from the Stepnova, Slavnikova, or Terekhov books. This article also includes a comment from Booker committee chair Igor Shaitanov expressing his pleasure with the choice because the Booker's goal is to try to make serious Russian literature competitive; another article, on Gazeta.ru, has Shaitanov hinting that Dmitriev's book was noted by the prize's English partners and may be translated into English.

Addition 2: A thorough piece from Izvestia by critic Liza Novikova, who (as always!) fits a lot into a brief article. Among other things, Liza calls Dmitriev's novel a continuation of the Soviet-era "village prose" tradition, noting that Dmitriev manages to create a positive character in Paniukov, a rarity in contemporary literature. I agree and think it's one of the book's best aspects. Liza also includes some interesting quotes from finalists Slavnikova and Terekhov, with Slavnikova discussing how her book might have been different if written now and Terekhov saying that if readers see his Germans as social satire, then it must be social satire.

Addition 3: Anna Narinskaia's piece for Kommersant. Among other things, Narinskaia mentions the Booker's apparent trend of moderation (after those scandalous (!) Elizarov and Koliadina wins...), 2012 jury chair Samuil Lur'e's comment that Russian literature died back around, uhm, 1949 sending readers to foreign detective novels, and (writer and jury member) Roman Senchin's response that, essentially, all is not lost. Phew.

Up Next: Moscow trip report with more about the Big Book award, then Serhij Zhadan’s Voroshilovgrad, and Margarita Khemlin’s Investigator. Then who knows… the bookshelf is wonderfully, ridiculously full after this fall’s Moscow trips! 

9 comments:

  1. and the Student Booker goes to Yuri Buida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Anonymous! And good for the students. I think Buida's Синяя кровь (Blue Blood) is a far more interesting book than Dmitriev's so was surprised it wasn't even shortlisted for the "big" Booker.

      Delete
  2. Is there really a Student Booker??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ani! Yes there is! Here's its site: Студенческий Букер. It's through РГГУ, among other organizations. I don't really follow the Student Booker so don't know much about the rules and procedures but it's interesting to look at their shortlists and winners, e.g. Tatyana Tolstaya won the Student Booker of the Decade for Кысь.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this Lizok. Next year, I'll be trying to break into Russian literature. I've not read one, not a single book by a Russian author, shamefully. Apart from the biggest names like Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Bulgakov, who should I look out for? that is if I will get them in the limited stores in Ghana. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Nana. I'm not sure what your book buying possibilities are but if you're looking for classics, you might want to take a look at my "Greatest Hits" posts... there are links under "Other Reading Ideas" on the right sidebar.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Lisa - I'm going to go check out that site!

    ReplyDelete