Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Is Truth Better Than Fiction? 2022’s Big Book Winners

As I sit down to finally write this post, four five days late, truth really does feel stranger than fiction: all three jury prizes for this year’s Big Book Award went to works of nonfiction. Pavel Basinsky won the top prize for his Подлинная история Анны Карениной (The True Story of Anna Karenina). This is Basinsky’s second Big Book win; the first was back in 2010, for Лев Толстой: Бегство из рая (Leo Tolstoy: Flight From Paradise, in Glagoslav’s translation by Huw Davies and Scott Moss).

This year’s second jury prize went to Alexei Varlamov for Имя Розанова (The Name of Rozanov), a biography of Vasily Rozanov. Sergei Belyakov took third prize for Парижские мальчики в сталинской Москве (Parisian Boys in Stalinist Moscow), about Parisian men (including Marina Tsvetaeva’s son, Georgy Efron) and their life and times in Stalinist Moscow.

Readers’ choice voters were more generous to fiction. Guzel Yakhina’s Эшелон на Самарканд (Train to Samarkand), set during the Civil War, won first prize. Basinsky’s True Story won second prize. And readers finished their troika with another novel: Anna Matveeva’s Каждые сто лет (Every Hundred Years).

I’ll conclude by saying that, yes, the three nonfiction awards mystify me more than a bit, even considering comments I’ve read on social media, theorizing about jurors’ voting habits during wartime. Of course my post about this year’s finalists (it’s here!) had me “scratching my head” about the shortlist back in June of this annus horribilis…

P.S. Here, from Big Book, is the rundown of jury voting. As you can see, the numbers are very, very close.

Disclaimers and disclosures: The usual. I translated Yakhina’s Zuleikha. I resigned from the Big Book Award’s Literary Academy (jury) earlier this year.

Up Next: A pile of books that I’m going to bundle into a series of posts. A list of 2022’s new translations; I’m suspecting numbers will be down considerably this year because of the war.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me know there's a new Yakhina novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, interesting results. The nonfiction selections (about times long past) make some sort of sense. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your comment, Olga! Yes, I've seen quite a few mentions of the "times long past" theory... most of the finalists are set at least partially in the past but Danilov's book, which won the Yasnaya Polyana, was shut out at Big Book. I think it could easily be called dystopian but it also feels very, very real, particularly now.

      Delete
  3. I just discovered your blog, Lisa and I look forward to reading your translation of Laurus, my intro to Vodolazkin. Since I discovered M Bulgakov in the 70’s, THE MASTER AND MARGARITA has been my favorite modern Russian novel. Could you recommend a couple of others that you think rival it in breadth and heart and wit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Anonymous, I'm glad you found the blog and hope you enjoy Laurus! It's one of my favorites.

      As to your question, I don't (for many reasons) make book recommendations... but I'm sure that if you explore more posts, particularly my annual lists of new translations (they have their own home on the sidebar), you'll find some titles to try!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete