Monday, May 27, 2013

The 2013 Big Book Short List


I’ve been so caught up in work and preparations for my trip to England next month for the Translators’ Coven that I completely forgot about today’s Big Book short list announcement! Before I head to the beach for some Memorial Day reading, here’s a quick list, in the order the books were listed on Lenta.ru:

I’m particularly looking forward to reading the Buida, Kucherskaya, and Levental novels, though I’m hoping to give all this year’s fiction a read. Off to the beach!

Disclosures: The usual, with direct and indirect ties to Big Book and many of the books on the list.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa. This looks like one of the most exciting 'shortlists' in Russia for years. I'm hoping it will finally go to Buida, who has been on more short-long and short-short lists without winning than any other writer I know, but suspect the prize will be reaped by the author with victory already encoded in his title... which would be no bad thing either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Oliver. Yes, this list looks especially promising: it's fortunate that Big Book makes multiple awards! I'm very much looking forward to reading Buida's new book and can't help but see him as a certain type of favorite for the reasons you cite, particularly after the situation with Синяя кровь last year... But I can't help but root for Danilov and Vodolazkin, too! More than anything, I'm happy there are plenty of books to care about.

      Delete